WHICH WEBSITES DOES THIS POLICY RELATE TO?
This policy applies to all Marks and Spencer Plc (“M&S”) owned and operated websites, both in the UK and in the international territories in which we operate. This includes M&S owned web pages which refer a user to M&S branded products and services which are provided by third party organisations.
WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are small data files which are placed on your computer or other devices (such as smart ‘phones or ‘tablets’) as you browse M&S websites. They are used to ‘remember’ when your computer or device accesses our websites, or to identify you as an M&S customer when you visit other websites. They can be used for just the duration of your visit (“session cookies”) or they can be used to measure how you interact with services and content over time (“persistent cookies”).
HOW ARE COOKIES MANAGED?
The cookies stored on your computer or other device when you access our websites are designed by:
- M&S, or on behalf of M&S, and are necessary to enable you to a make purchases on our website;
- third parties who participate with us in marketing programmes; and
- third parties who broa dcast web banner advertisements on behalf of M&S.
WHAT ARE COOKIES USED FOR?
- We use essential cookies to deliver and maintain on-line services, including providing basic website functionality, remembering your basket content, facilitating transactions and payments, fraud prevention, and maintaining and securing our websites;and
Essential cookies used for these purposes are deployed automatically for all users as soon as they enter our websites. If you wish to use our sites you cannot opt out of these cookies as they are an essential and integral feature.
- Improve the quality of our services and develop new ones
- Enable special website features such as widgets or embedded media files for example. These website features are not essential to the operation of the website but are intended to enhance user experience. They also allow us to develop and test new website features.
- Enable M&S to meet its contractual obligations to make payments to third parties when a product is purchased by someone who has visited our website from a site operated by those parties.
This includes cookies used to:-
Show personalised content based on your interests, preferences or location These types of cookies allow us to improve the way our websites and mobile apps work so that we can personalise your experience and show you content which is most relevant to you. For example, a product or service may only be available in a particular location and may be more relevant to you depending on where you are, or we might show you certain products or services that we believe are most relevant to you based on your previous browsing or purchasing behaviour.
WHAT IF YOU DON’T WANT NON-ESSENTIAL COOKIES TO BE USED?
You can continue to use our website and complete transactions without consenting to cookies, but if you do this some website functionality may be impaired. Note - if you have already consented to cookies on our website, you can change your preferences by clearing cookies from your browser and re-entering our site. This will cause the pop-up banner to re-display and you can choose to use the site without consenting to cookies.
HOW TO DISABLE COOKIES VIA YOUR BROWSER SETTINGS?
You can also disable cookies by changing your website browser settings to reject cookies. How you can do this will depend on the browser you use. Further details on how to disable cookies for the most popular browsers are set out below: -
For Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Choose the menu "tools" then “Internet Options”
- Click on the "privacy" tab
- Select the setting the appropriate setting
For Google Chrome:
- Choose Settings > Advanced
- Under "Privacy and security," click "Content settings".
- Click “Cookies”
- Choose Preferences > Privacy
- Click on "Remove all Website Data"
For Mozilla firefox:
- Choose the menu "tools" then "Options"
- Click on the icon "privacy"
- Find the menu "cookie" and select the relevant options
For Opera 6.0 and further:
- Choose the menu "Files" > "Preferences"
WHAT HAPPENS IF I DISABLE COOKIES?
This depends on which cookies you disable, but in general the website may not operate properly if cookies are switched off. If you only disable third party cookies, you will not be prevented from making purchases on our sites. If you disable all cookies, you will be unable to complete a purchase on our sites.
WHAT COOKIES DO WE USE?
These cookies are essential to the basic operation of the website and cannot be disabled because the website will not function without them. These cookies are essential to the basic operation of the website and cannot be disabled because the website will not function without them.
They are used for various functions that allow the website to operate, including:
Security functions including;
These cookies make your shopping experience easier. They enable basic functions such as seeing recently viewed products or searches.
Switching off these cookies will mean that areas of our website won’t work properly.
They are used for various functions to improve your shopping experience such as:
These cookies help us to learn what you’re interested in so we can show you relevant content while you shop on our site. Switching off these cookies will mean you see a generic version of the website, rather than content which is more relevant to you
They are used for various functions to tailor our website to your preferences and interests, including:
These cookies gather information such as how many people are using our site or which pages are popular to help us improve customer experience. Switching off these cookies will mean we are less able to gather information to improve your experience.
They are used to help us understand how you interact with our website, products and/or services so that we can better understand your needs. For example, we collect and analyse information about:
These cookies help us to learn what you’re interested in so we can show you relevant adverts on other websites. Switching off these cookies will mean you will see generic advertising on other websites, rather than ads which are most relevant to you.
They are used to: